Repurposed/ Upcycled Punk Baby Doll Leather Top

I admit it. I'm a Project Runway fan. I've been a devoted watcher since the beginning. I had a glorious night in August 13, 2013, when I met Jay McCarroll. Yes, Project Runway is my crack, my drug of choice. I'm not ashamed to admit it.  So..... when I stumbled upon these two tops in a thrift store, I knew I had to put them together to make a punky "Baby Doll" type top.

Front view                                                                 Back view





Front view                                                                 Back view






I decided to make a top that would evoke a feeling/ homage to three different Project Runway looks:


Alexandria von Bromssen (Season 12)

Andy South (Season 8)

April Johnston (Season 8)
 All those photos were from mylifetime.com (none are available through the website anymore).


I started the process by disassmbling both tops. I took the sheer part of the top away, and left the studded harness part.



I pinned the shimmery part of the second shirt to the sheer top.


Then, I sewed the sheer top and the shimmery part together.


  


I took a trip to NYC on April 4, 2016, and while on the trip, I bought braided leather trim and thin suede trim from Mood Designer Fabrics


I hand-sewed the thin suede and leather trim to the neckline..... and the woven leather to the shoulder/ armholes, and under the bust line. I really like the contract between the "hard" edgy trim with the "soft" flowy fabrics.


Here's the front, full view.


Here's a close-up of the top of front view.


Here's the back, full view.


Here's a close-up of the top of the back view.


I'm wearing it. Sorry about the pic.... I was tired...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mend and Make Do: Repairing Small Moth Holes in a Cashmere Sweater

Trip to Philadelphia, PA to Theatre of Living Arts to see RATT

How to Dye a Leather Purse with Spray Paint Color